Thursday, July 14, 2011

Paris: the Louvre

On my first trip to Paris, the Louvre was closed on the only free day we had. We visited Versailles instead.

On my second trip, we visited the Louvre and I explored on my own while my relatives saw the typical tourist works that I wasn't all that interested in. I went straight for the Neoclassical works.

On my third trip (where the following pictures are from), I saw some of what I wanted to see and some of what my traveling companion wanted to see. I think it worked out well.

When one enters the modern Louvre, its through a large glass pyramid.



The ceilings of the old royal palace are amazing:



We visited the 'Big Three' as I like to call them - Winged Victory, Venus de Milo and Mona Lisa:



Winged Victory which reminds me of a scene from one of my favorite movies, Funny Face with Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire.



Venus de Milo.

I'm a huge fan of Neoclassical sculpture, so we had to visit that gallery:


The Three Graces.



A statue of Psyche (one of my favorites from Greek mythology).



I don't remember what this was called but I'm guessing its Athena / Minerva from the helmet...

This was in the atrium sculpture area. My father is a Leo so I couldn't resist taking my picture with a lion statue.



My traveling companion was Iranian American so we had to visit the Middle Eastern areas, especially those from Persia.



Assyrian Bull.

The history of the Louvre fascinates me so we traveled down to the medieval foundations:



And visited the Ancient Egyptian section, another of my favorite time periods:



And now for my two favorite pieces of artwork in the Louvre:



Cupid and Psyche by Antonio Canova.

And



The Turkish Bath by Ingres. By the way, they have an entire room full of Ingres paintings. I was in heaven.

I love the Louvre and hope that I can return one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment